Women’s Lacrosse: One goal win for women’s lax

0
2
exc-5add332c03ce64e683915592

UConn’s Women’s Lacrosse team takes to the field against Cincinnati on Friday, Apr. 13. The Huskies played ruthlessly, dominating the Bearcats 20-8 (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team pulled out a tight 20-19 win in overtime on Sunday against the Vanderbilt Commodores at the Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Senior Grace Nolan and freshman Sydney Watson led the Huskies’ offense with five goals apiece while senior Kelsey Catalano added four goals of her own.

This was a highly contested game throughout, with the score tied at 9-9 at the end of the first half and tied yet again at 19-19 at the end of regulation. The game proceeded to enter overtime, when Nolan took over and scored the final point of the game unassisted four minutes and 29 second into the extra period.

It was Emily Matthews and Kayla Peterson who carried much of the offensive load for the Commodores, with both girls tallying five goals apiece.

UConn managed to win this game while only recording two total assists as a team, relying instead on strong individual play to keep the offense powered. This was the second time in three games that the Huskies scored 20 points in a game, pulling their offense together during this stretch run to end the year.

With the win on Sunday, UConn improved to 8-8 on the season and 4-4 in the Big East conference. They are currently tied for fifth place in the conference with Temple.

The Huskies’ next and final regular season game will be Saturday, April 28 at 12 p.m. against Marquette.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.