UConn student Recreation Center to open in Fall 2019

0
9

The new rec center remains on schedule for fall of 2019. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The construction of the new UConn Student Recreation Center remains on schedule to open to the general public in the fall of 2019, said Brian Gore, Director of Project and Program Management for UConn’s Office of Planning, Design, and Construction.

The construction phase of the new recreation center is estimated for completion in the summer of 2019. The project also remains within the construction budget of $75 million.

“It’s not possible to summarize what work has been completed over the summer, as the project is pushing ahead on all fronts,” Gore said.

The new three-story recreation center will include 30,000 square feet of fitness space, a four-court gymnasium, indoor running track, two multipurpose activity courts, an aquatics center, climbing center, racquetball courts,  an outdoor recreation center, and functional training and multipurpose rooms, according to the UConn Recreation Center website.

The purpose of the new recreation center is to encourage exercise by providing a larger space and new equipment for students, faculty, and campus occupants, according to the UConn Recreation project narrative.

University spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz says construction has been steady throughout the summer on the new recreation center.

“I think students will be amazed when they return and see the progress at the site. In fact, one of the major projects was done while most students were away: The intersection at Hillside Road and Jim Calhoun Way was closed for much of the summer while crews extended utility infrastructure to serve the site,” Reitz said. “It’s not as visually interesting as seeing the new walls in place or watching the building’s façade taking shape, but it was critically important to the progress of the project as a whole.”

The project site was originally in the location of the former residence complex, Connecticut Commons. Along with the creation of a new recreation center, the design intent is to renew the landscape smoothly with the surrounding campus buildings and pathways, according to the UConn Recreation Center project narrative.

Parking in the immediate area surrounding the new recreation center was reduced to 37 parking spaces, but the project also includes the installment of 30 bike racks for bicycle parking on site, according to the UConn Recreation project narrative. Due to its location in the center of UConn’s campus, the new recreation center is accessible by walking distance and also accessible by five bus lines, which service multiple stops within a quarter mile of the new recreation center every day, according to the UConn Recreation Center project narrative.

Kristina Carretero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kristina.carretero@uconn.edu.