Around the American: UConn remains the only undefeated team in the American

0
1

File Photo- UConn Soccer in control of the ball during a game against Memphis in 2017. (Jon Sammis/ The Daily Campus)

Another soccer season has rolled around, and the American Conference title looks like it will be hotly contested once again.

With home wins over Lehigh and Niagara, the UConn Huskies are the only
remaining team with an undefeated record in non-conference play. The Huskies secured their second victory off of a penalty kick from senior Abdou Mback Thiam, converted in the 70th minute.

Tulsa, who was picked to finish fifth in the preseason coach’s poll, opened up the season at No. 15 Michigan and left with a 2-0 victory. The Golden Hurricanes now sit
at 1-0-1.

USF almost pulled off another upset for the American Conference but fell in their season opener 1-0 to No. 7/9 Michigan State. The Bulls didn’t allow a single shot for the first 86 minutes of play before surrendering the game-winner. A loss to Michigan gives USF a 0-2 record, tied with Cincinnati for worst in the conference.

No. 6/8 SMU, voted to finish second in the American and also earning three first-
place votes, sits at a 1-1 record through the first two contests. The Mustangs
dropped a double-overtime contest to Providence before blowing out Campbell 4-0.

The team voted to finish first in the conference, UCF, also sits at a 1-1 record. The Knights won 2-1 in overtime at Penn State before dropping a 1-0 overtime game against UC Irvine.

Temple has only played one game so far, losing 1-0 to UMBC.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets at @conn_donahue.