Around the American: Huskies claim third as standings shift

0
5

Abdou Mbacke Thiam controls the ball during UConn’s game against Dartmouth on Sept. 8. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

UConn picks up a win and the conference standings are shaken up once again after another week of AAC soccer.

After dropping two games last week, the Huskies improved to 3-2-0 after beating Dartmouth Saturday. Although Abdou Mbacke Thiam wasthe only one able to find the back of the net with his header in the 79th minute, UConn put up 14 shots throughout the game with eight shots on goal. This win keeps UConn’s home record perfect (3-0-0) and has them sitting in third place in the conference.

Tulsa (3-1-1) moved up to No. 1 in the American after hosting and defeating New México 2-1 on Friday. This matchup took not one, but two overtimes to decide a winner with sophomoreforward Adam Habib clinching the victory with his goal in the 107th minute.

UCF, who like Tulsa is 3-1-1, is now in second place in the American after beating West Virginia on Friday 1-0. Junior Cal Jennings scored the lone goal for the Knights on eight shot attempts. Jennings now leads the American in goals (4) and points (9).

Memphis was blanked by Creighton last Friday 2-0 but was able to bounce back and shutout Utah Valley 1-0 Sunday afternoon. The Tigers, now 3-2-1 on the year, sits right behind UConn for fourth in the conference.

Last time out, SMU (2-2-1) tied Saint Louis 1-1 after two overtimes weren’t enough to decide a winner. Now fifth in the conference, the Mustangs will next play host to Houston Baptist Friday night and Gonzaga on Sunday afternoon.

Temple (2-3) grinded out a 1-0 victory over Rider last Tuesday before coming home and taking 1-0 overtime loss to Saint Johns. The Owls now sit sixth in the conference with just two more games before conference play begins.

USF (2-4) is coming off of back-to-back wins after a tough 0-4 start to the season. The Bulls were able to pick up a 1-0 win over Ohio State on the road before beating in-state opponent Florida Atlantic 4-1 on Monday. USF is now seventh in the American.

Cincinnati (1-4) rounds off the conference in eigth place. The Bearcats lost to Xavier on the road 3-1 Friday night and will next host Western Michigan, Wednesday night.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.