HomeLifeSpring semester bucket list

Spring semester bucket list

Students gather in the Greer Field House to participate in the annual 18 hour dance marathon HuskyTHON to raise money for Connecticut Children's Medical Center from Saturday, Feb. 18 to Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017. (file photo/The Daily Campus)

Students gather in the Greer Field House to participate in the annual 18 hour dance marathon HuskyTHON to raise money for Connecticut Children’s Medical Center from Saturday, Feb. 18 to Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017. (file photo/The Daily Campus)

With a new semester up and running, here is a bucket list to ensure you make the most of spring semester.

Start a gym routine

The new year is the perfect time to make resolutions and stick to them. Even though the gym can seem daunting at first, recruit a couple of friends to take with you to help kickstart your fitness goals.

The UConn Recreation Center offers free classes, such as spinning, yoga and kickboxing, to students through their BodyWise program. Taking group fitness classes is great, especially if you have never been to the gym before and are unsure of how to use the machines or make up your own routine.

Sign up for an intramural team

If going to the gym isn’t your style, gather a group of friends and sign up for an intramural team. Playing intramural sports is a great way to get involved, stay in shape and, most of all, have fun.

A variety of intramural sports are offered in the spring semester, including soccer, basketball, dodgeball, volleyball, flag football and many more. Check out the UConn Recreation Center website for more information about how to sign up.

Watch the sunrise or sunset from Horsebarn Hill

Even though the thought of waking up at 5:30 a.m. might sound unappealing to some, watching the sunrise from Horsebarn Hill and taking in the surrounding scenery is a beautiful way to start your day.

If mornings aren’t your thing, then watching the sunset is an equally satisfying view at a much more reasonable hour of the day.

Join a club

With more than 500 student organizations and university programs on campus, there are ample opportunities to get involved. Clubs are a great way to build your resume, meet new friends and expand your interests.

The involvement fair will take place on Wednesday, Jan. 30, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion and is a great way to find clubs that interest you and learn more about opportunities to get involved.

Attend a basketball game in Gampel

Located in the basketball capital of the world, UConn students are privileged to have the chance to watch some of the best basketball in the country.

UConn’s school spirit is unmatched, and the energy felt in the student section during a game is something that all students should experience at least once during their four years.

Take part in Huskython

Whether you are a freshman or an upperclassman who has not participated in past years, Huskython, UConn’s annual dance marathon, is one of the biggest campus events during the spring semester that encompasses the spirit and giving nature of the UConn community.

For 18 hours, students pack into the Fieldhouse and dance the night away, with all proceeds going toward Connecticut Children’s Hospital. The night is filled with an abundance of activities that make it go by in the blink of an eye.

Spring semester always seems to go by faster than you think, so make sure to take advantage of all the amazing opportunities UConn has to offer and make this semester one for the books.

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.