From the Moon Appreciation club to the Pre-Dental Society, the Spring 2019 Involvement Fair had it all

0
8

The spring semester Involvement Fair was held on Jan. 30 in Gampel Pavilion and drew quite the crowd from clubs and potential members alike. (Julie Spillane/The Daily Campus)

The spring semester Involvement Fair was held on Jan. 30 in Gampel Pavilion and drew quite the crowd from clubs and potential members alike.

The semesterly fair is an opportunity for clubs on campus to recruit members and educate others about their mission and purpose.

This semester’s Involvement Fair had 416 clubs ranging from those based in advocacy to healthcare to religion to special interest.

There were many standout clubs at the Involvement Fair including the Kite Club, Birding Club and even a Moon Appreciation Club.

In the Moon Appreciation Club, members meet once a month during the full moon, eat Insomnia Cookies and hang out, vice president and fourth-semester actuarial science major Peter Kunz said.

Kunz said the club also values inclusion and love, with the meetings starting with hugs.

“All we’re trying to do is make friends and have a good time,” Kunz said.

Another notable organization was the Bad Movie club.

Member and second-semester economics major David Lassy explained the club was all about watching movies so bad that they are good.

“We appreciate how badly people screwed up in the movie industry,” Lassy said.

Lassy cited the cult classic “The Room” as an example of this type of movie and said they will be starting off the semester with a screening of “Birdemic” in next week’s meeting.

Sing For Hope is a new club joining the many established cubs at the University of Connecticut and is inspired by a nonprofit of the same name where volunteers visit hospitals and nursing homes and sing to the patients to lift spirits.

The club hopes to visit the Helen & Harry Gray Cancer Center in Hartford, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and Mansfield Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation.

Another new club that has been formed this semester is the Husky Horror Club, where members discuss all things in the horror genre.

The president, sixth-semester English major Liam Thomas, said he wanted to start the club because he has been a horror fan his whole life.

“It’s an opportunity to facilitate a place for other horror enthusiasts and to introduce people to the thing I really love,” Thomas said.

Thomas said potential projects for the club would be a horror book club, horror movie screenings and a haunt during Halloween.

UConn’s chapter of Engineers Without Borders is continuing this semester as well.

The president of the chapter, sixth-semester biomedical and material science engineering double major Mateo Escobar, described the club as an ethical approach to engineering.

Escobar said the organization takes a modern approach to aiding communities in need by involving those communities in decision-making and keeping a five-year commitment to the community.

One of the projects the chapter is pursuing this semester is helping an indigenous Peruvian population build bathrooms in their community.

They are also working on building a rainwater harvesting system at a Willimantic farming co-op and building an incinerator in a school in Uganda to properly dispose of waste (that comes from feminine hygiene products in particular) in a sanitary way.

Escobar said the club’s mission is to bridge the gap between human rights and engineering.

“Engineers Without Borders teaches engineers how to add humanitarian elements to design principles,” Escobar said.

As for the arts section, The Blueprint Club will be returning for its second semester this spring.

The founder, president and fourth-semester marketing major Clifton Percy, described the club as a place where creatives from all backgrounds can come together, collaborate and teach each other different creative skills.

“The point is (to) express yourself through different mediums of art such as photography, fashion and graphic design,” Percy said.

In the club, basic principles of larger art concepts are shared so members will have that stepping stone to possibly master the skill.

Percy said upcoming projects for this semester include zines and a lookbook as well as collectively coming up with designs for merchandise.

Along the same artistic lines, No Stress Express is an art club that promotes a no pressure environment for making art, said co-founder and vice president Hannah Myers.

Myers, an eighth-semester psychology major, said the purpose is for members to have a dedicated time for making art.

“The goal is to provide a space to make art in a scheduled block,” Myers said. “It’s very easy to get caught up in a schedule and responsibilities so it’s nice to do something just for fun.”

No Stress Express president and co-founder, fourth semester physiology and neurobiology major Murphy Keny, said she wanted to start the club because she often found herself in the “I could be studying right now” headspace whenever she was making art.

With a vast array of clubs to choose from and a crowded Gampel Pavilion, it seemed like the fair was a success.

Second-semester molecular and cell biology major, Carlie Defelice, said she appreciated the Involvement Fair because it was an opportunity to branch out.

“You can see other clubs that are not specific to your major,” she said. “It’s nice to not be completely surrounded by science.”

Gladi Suero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gladi.suero@uconn.edu.