Creating your own morning routine

0
6

Students participate in Sunset Yoga at Horsebarn Hill on Friday, Sept. 1. The event was hosted by Counseling and Mental Health Services. (Photo by Kimberly Nguyen/The Daily Campus)

Our lives are made up entirely of back-to-back routines. From going to class, perhaps the gym, socializing with friends, participating in different clubs and sleeping, pretty much everything we do fits into an overall routine. However, one of the most important routines is the one you complete in the morning. It’s the one that sets you up for your day and prepares you for what you have scheduled.

The first step to a morning routine is getting up (obviously) and washing your face or even taking a shower. Doing either of those things wakes your body up and makes it feel fresh and ready for the day ahead. Remember to moisturize afterwards, as it replenishes your skin and prevents itchiness and redness. I’d also recommend brushing your teeth first thing in the morning, so you don’t get toothpaste or water on your clothes or ruin your makeup. Next, I usually put on some music and get dressed and do my makeup.

When it comes to food and drink, I’d recommend drinking hot lemon water because it essentially detoxes your body and gets you hydrated first thing in the morning. This is good because your body dehydrates overnight, so drinking something hot like lemon water or green tea will help get your body going while eliminating toxins. Studies show that one out of 10 college students skip breakfast every morning. Males tend to skip more than females, but it’s still a pretty high number overall.

As we all have probably heard before, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Even though college students have morning classes and don’t always feel hungry or have time to eat, it’s still important to find a way to incorporate some kind of breakfast. Even if it’s a granola bar, piece of fruit or yogurt, it’s good to have some type of sustenance in the morning. It not only gets your metabolism and digestion flowing but it also gives you energy and prevents you from over-eating later in the day.

It’s common to check emails and catch up on social media in the morning, so I would suggest making that a part of your routine. Though I’m a firm advocate for not over-using social media, it’s definitely okay to catch up on news and your school email. During the school year, I find myself not using social media nearly as much as I do on breaks. It’s important to stay focused on schoolwork and spending time with friends, rather than focusing all of your energy into what’s going on Twitter or Instagram, so the morning provides a good space for this.

Finally, meditation is a topic I’ve discussed before and is a beneficial way to clear your mind and get focused on the aspects of your life that really matter. Incorporating meditation into your morning routine can help clear your mind and make you feel refreshed and ready to take on the day. It can also help you perform better in school by shifting your concentration to what matters. Though most of us already have a routine we follow, incorporating some of these activities you don’t already do can make your semester easier and help you feel like your best self.

Tessa Pawlik is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at tessa.pawlik@uconn.edu.