HomeNewsStorrs Stories: Talk of replacing the husky

Storrs Stories: Talk of replacing the husky

In March 1965, the University of Alaska gifted UConn with Jonathan VII. Jonathan VII was all white and came after UConn assisted the University of Alaska after they suffered damage from an earthquake. (Photo provided by writer)

There was talk in late February 1965 of replacing the University of Connecticut’s husky mascot with the Connecticut Yankee figure or something similar.

The search for a new mascot came about after Jonathan VI was killed in an automobile accident in 1964.

The Jonathan Committee of the Sophomore class, the committee searching for a new mascot, faced multiple obstacles while trying to find a new husky.

A UConn alumnus promised the university a husky, but that husky was born black and white instead of the pure white that was required by the current tradition.

There was also no suitable place on campus for the new husky to be held. A new living area for the husky would be required, which would involve an expense to both UConn and the sophomore class.

Karen Fromkin, then chairman of the Jonathan Committee, explained that the idea for the University mascot to be a husky came about before the college was a university, as students wanted a mascot that was unique to UConn and different from other schools in the region.

In March 1965, the University of Alaska gifted UConn with Jonathan VII. Jonathan VII was all white and came after UConn assisted the University of Alaska after they suffered damage from an earthquake.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.