UConn In The Pros: Springer, other Huskies staying busy  

0
3

As summer winds down, former Huskies now playing professionally in the MLB and WNBA are hoping to keep their seasons alive and make deep playoff runs. George Springer and the Houston Astros have their eyes on returning to the game’s biggest stage with hopes of making history again.  The center fielder has put together another solid season batting .292 while hitting 27 home runs and driving in 68 runs.  Springer has been lacking the power that propelled him to win the World Series MVP in 2017, having only hit one home run in the past 10 games.  His dependability and tendency to come through in the biggest moments still makes him a huge threat to opposing pitchers in October.   

Napheesa Collier and Kia Nurse have performed at a very high level as of late for their respective teams.  Photo by Associated Press

Napheesa Collier and Kia Nurse have performed at a very high level as of late for their respective teams. Photo by Associated Press

Former Huskies have also been busy on the hardwood. The trio of Kia Nurse, Tina Charles and Bria Hartley have led the New York Liberty in nearly every statistical category over the past two weeks despite the hopes of making the postseason being long gone. Charles has played exceptionally well scoring over 20 points per contest in the last five games. Not all hope is lost for a Husky to make the postseason, however. Napheesa Collier has helped lead the Minnesota Lynx to try and capture a playoff birth with great scoring performances in each of the teams’ last two games. The forward has averaged 21 points and 5.5 rebounds in those contests.  With her tournament experience from her time here in Storrs, Collier might be the boost the team needs to make a deep postseason run.   

Thumbnail image from Associated Press

Matt Severino is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matt.severino@uconn.edu