HomeEditorialWe need more water bottle refilling stations 

We need more water bottle refilling stations 

With more water bottle refilling stations on campus, UConn will become a much more sustainable university.  Photo by    Houston Max    on    Unsplash   .

With more water bottle refilling stations on campus, UConn will become a much more sustainable university. Photo by Houston Max on Unsplash.

While walking on a campus as large as the University of Connecticut Storrs campus, it is imperative to always stay hydrated, especially in the warmer, summer months. Staying hydrated is slowly becoming easier and easier due to the push for the installation more water bottle refilling stations all over campus. 

Currently, there are over 60 water bottle refilling stations on campus, and there is a push for more. This is a great idea, because these stations are convenient, good for the environment and it is cheaper and more efficient for students, staff and faculty to refill their water bottles at these stations as opposed to purchasing a new, plastic bottle multiple times per day. 

All students, staff and faculty need is a reusable water bottle. With this, they can fill up as much water as they need in one location. As more water bottle refilling stations are installed on campus, it will be more and more convenient to fill up the water bottles during the day, despite changing locations for classes and extracurricular activities. 

The water from the refilling stations is also much safer than the bottled water. This is because the water in water bottles is not subjected to as many tests as tap water, and the water bottles can become more easily infected with bacteria than tap water, as it contains little to no additional disinfecting properties. Tap water, on the other hand, has trace amounts of chlorine to ensure that the water is clean and pure. 

With more of these water bottle refilling stations on campus, UConn will become a much more sustainable university. Each time someone uses one of these stations, the digitally displayed number that shows how many people have filled up their water bottles increases. Most of those numbers are in the thousands, thus proving the stations to be very beneficial to students, staff and faculty. 

The UConn community should be able to look forward to the installation of new water bottle refilling stations all over campus in the near future.  

Thumbnail photo by Noppadon Manadee on Unsplash.