Try these cocktail recipes at your next brunch  

0
3

Here are some suggestions for tasty brunch cocktails.  Photo by    Kelvin Yan    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo by    Natalia Ostashova    on    Unsplash   .

Here are some suggestions for tasty brunch cocktails. Photo by Kelvin Yan on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo by Natalia Ostashova on Unsplash.

During tailgate season, day-drinking becomes a common occurrence. More often than not, it starts as morning drinking that bleeds into the afternoon. But there’s no reason college students have to settle for the easiest, most convenient option when it comes to enjoying an adult beverage in the morning. Whether you’re looking for a new brunch recipe to impress your friends or just a fun drink for the next tailgate, below are some options for delicious and still relatively simple cocktails to enjoy in the morning. 

Raspberry and Orange Screwdriver 

Ingredients: 

1/4 oz. Triple Sec 

1 oz. raspberry simple syrup 

1 oz. orange flavored vodka 

1 oz. vanilla flavored vodka 

2 oz. orange juice 

Crushed ice 

The screwdriver is an essential cocktail recipe. The traditional ingredients make a great base to play around with. The notes of berry in this drink add an extra fun layer. In order to make this screwdriver, add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. Strain into a whiskey glass. Garnish with orange slices and raspberries.   

Strawberry Grapefruit Mimosa

Ingredients: 

1 oz. grapefruit juice 

5 fresh strawberries, sliced 

Thyme 

2 oz. champagne 

Who said a mimosa can only be made with orange juice? This strawberry grapefruit mimosa offers a lighter, summer-y version of the classic. In order to make this cocktail, combine the grapefruit juice and strawberries in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously until the juice is a dark pink color. Strain into a champagne glass and add the champagne. Garnish with fresh strawberries and thyme. Add more or less champagne to taste. 

Yellow Bloody Mary 

Ingredients: 

2 oz. vodka  

4 oz. yellow tomato juice  

1 teaspoon yellow bell pepper juice 

1 teaspoon fresh pineapple juice 

1 teaspoon yellow beet juice 

1 teaspoon lemon juice 

1/2 teaspoon mango nectar 

Dash of white pepper 

Splash of white balsamic vinegar 

¼ teaspoon horseradish 

Dash of salt 

Hot sauce to taste 

While the classic bloody mary is already pretty perfect, there are some fun variations for those that might not be into the tomato/horseradish thing. Bloody marys are personal drinks and ingredients are very much to taste, so feel free to make any substitutions or leave ingredients out depending on the flavors you like. In order to make this drink, first rim the glass with salt and fill with ice. Then squeeze lemon and lime wedges into a cocktail shaker. Add the remaining ingredients and ice into the shaker and mix well until combined. Strain into prepared glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and slice of yellow pepper. This recipe can also be converted to a “green” bloody mary by substituting some ingredients for green vegetables. Can it still be considered “bloody” without the red tomato juice?  

Peach Bellini 

Ingredients: 

1/2 medium sized peach, peeled and diced 

1/4 cup water 

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice 

Pinch of sugar 

Prosecco, champagne or dry sparkling wine 

I’m a sucker for a good bellini. These are so easy to make and really delicious. To make this refreshing cocktail, puree the peach, water, lemon juice and sugar in a blender until smooth. Fill a champagne flute a quarter of the way with puree, then top off with the alcohol of your choosing. Garnish with a slice of peach. If you’re looking for a different take, try making a frozen bellini! 

Irish Coffee 

Ingredients:  

1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee 

1 tablespoon brown sugar 

1 ½ oz. Irish whiskey  

Heavy cream, slightly whipped 

If you are not a fan of fruity cocktails, try this stronger, deeper Irish coffee. This is a classic but often overlooked brunch drink. In order to make, pour coffee into a warmed glass until it is three-quarters of the way full. Add the brown sugar and stir well. Blend in the whiskey and top with the slightly whipped heavy cream. Sprinkle with brown sugar or cinnamon. Try using iced coffee for a cooler twist.  

Melon Patch  

Ingredients:  

1 oz. melon liqueur 

1/2 oz. triple sec 

2 oz. vodka 

4 oz. club soda 

Orange slice for garnish 

This is a light, refreshing vodka drink that pairs well with a lighter brunch or breakfast. Add the melon liqueur, triple sec and vodka to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously. Strain into a glass filled with ice. Add club soda. Garnish with an orange slice and enjoy.  

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in The Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”