Developing your career with the Center for Career Development

0
1

UConn Center for Career Development tabled in the Student Union yesterday to raise awareness for National Career Development Month. Student workers spoke to students about what the center is offering this month.  Photo by Matt Pickett/The Daily Campus

UConn Center for Career Development tabled in the Student Union yesterday to raise awareness for National Career Development Month. Student workers spoke to students about what the center is offering this month. Photo by Matt Pickett/The Daily Campus

On a college campus, it’s no surprise that people are thinking about and working towards post-graduation career goals. The University of Connecticut Center for Career Development (CCD), located in the Wilbur Cross Building Room 202, tabled in Student Union yesterday afternoon. With a mac and cheese bar, the center was observing National Career Development Month to raise awareness about the plethora of resources the center offers for students’ future endeavors. Student workers from the CCD were available to talk to interested students about what the center is offering this month. 

“I approve and decline postings for internships, jobs [and] opportunities for students [on Handshake],” Rita Tsafack-Tonleu, a fifth-semester finance major, said. She works as an assessment technology and career intern at the CCD. “In terms of resume and critique aspect, I give presentations to FYE classes, I give workshops [and] I also do one-on-one resume critiques.” 

A list of events for this month is available for students, including a Microsoft Excel Basics workshop, making vision boards and The Major Experience. The table had the CCD’s website (career.uconn.edu/resources) pulled up for students to browse what they have available online. Flyers were also available with tips and how to navigate the different resources for different purposes, from internships to post-college careers to further education.  

“We’re promoting all the programs and events that we have happening for November,” Hannah Halloran, a first-year master of social work concentrating in policy practice, said. She works as a Graduate Assistant in Programming for the CCD. “We are doing professional portraits, an elevator pitch competition. The Center for Career Development has opportunities to develop your career, whether it’s career exploration, grad school searches, job searches. It’s really for all students whether they’re a first-year student or graduating.” 

One of the flyers offers information about scheduling an appointment with a career coach, in which you could explore and prepare your career goals. Another has information about receiving guidance on your professional documents, such as resumes, CVs, cover letters or personal statements with same-day career coaching or schedule appointments. The CCD also encourages students to attend their career presentations and programs to “review topics like LinkedIn, interviewing, internships and co-ops,” as mentioned on the flyer.  

“We provide so many resources for kids,” Tsafack-Tonleu said. “We have Focus 2, which is basically if you don’t know what you’re doing and you need to figure it out, it’s like a personality test that gives you career options. We also have [the] Husky Mentor Network, which is like a network of over a thousand UConn alumni that are willing to talk to you for 20 minutes and give you advice for whatever path you’re thinking or and you get matched up with them.” 

Besides the Husky Mentor Network (career.uconn.edu/husky-mentor-network), other key online resources available include CCD on Demand (ccdondemand.uconn.edu), where students can access the center’s online library with virtual presentations, workshops and how-tos on a range of career topics. 

“We have a great program that does events and workshops called Beyond UConn that is for preparing students with finding houses, finances, preparing for life after UConn and help with what is grad school, how do I apply, where do I apply?” Holloran said. “We don’t just do job placement, we also help with other opportunities after UConn.”