Football: Huskies wrapping up season Saturday in Philadelphia

0
2

The Huskies lost to Temple last year 57-7. They will play their twelfth and final regular season game today against Temple at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Penn.  Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

The Huskies lost to Temple last year 57-7. They will play their twelfth and final regular season game today against Temple at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Penn. Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

UConn will finish the 2019 season with a road game at Temple. Temple has played very well this season (7-4), and are even better at home (5-1).

UConn (2-9) haven’t had a great season record-wise, but they played well in their last game against East Carolina.

Jack Zergiotis threw for 418 yards (third most in UConn history) and three touchdowns in the 31-24 loss, but in the final minutes he had the Huskies knocking on the door to tie the game.

Then he threw a pick on the goal line. Zergiotis also had two interceptions and lost a fumble in that game.

Cam Ross had an excellent game,catching eight balls for 169 yards and two scores. Backed up deep in their own territory, Zergiotis found Ross for a 94-yard touchdown, which was the longest UConn touchdown since 1996.

Temple’s offense flows mostly through their passing game, and quarterback Anthony Russo loves to throw to his go-to target Jadan Blue.

Blue has caught 80 passes for 923 yards (both team-highs) and three touchdowns (fourth on the team). Over his last three games, he’s made a whopping 36 receptions for 372 yards and a touchdown. And Blue put up those numbers in tough games against USF, Tulane and No. 19 Cincinnati (win, win, loss).

Blue is similar to UConn’s own Cam Ross in that he dominates his team’s targets in the passing game. UConn’s defense should be pretty familiar with the concept.

Randy Edsall will want to keep Blue in check, but should also be worried about Temple’s rushing attack. UConn has been vulnerable against the run, giving up 850 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground over the last three games.

Temple’s lead back is Re’Mahn Davis, and he’s had a pretty good season running the ball with 795 yards (4.9 per attempt) and six touchdowns. Their second back, Jager Gardner, has rushed for 585 yards and five touchdowns. 

Together, Davis and Gardner can pose a threat to UConn’s rushing defense (220 rushing yards allowed per game).

UConn and Temple will play their twelfth and final regular season game Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Penn.

Thumbnail photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.