UConn begins Internship and Co-op week

0
4
exc-5e38c7e8af79ac2aa26c7cfe

The Internship and Co-op fair will be held today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Union ballroom where students will have the opportunity to talk to a variety of employers.    Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

The Internship and Co-op fair will be held today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Union ballroom where students will have the opportunity to talk to a variety of employers.

Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

UConn’s Center for Career Development (CCD) annual Internship and Co-op week kicked off yesterday, with workshops for students in search of internships. 

The Internship and Co-op fair will be held today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Union ballroom. Students will have the opportunity to meet with dozens of employers, said Kailee Himes, graduate assistant at the CCD. 

A list of all events and workshops being held this week can be found on the CCD website.  

“Indeed, the largest job board and one of UConn’s corporate partners who sponsors the week’s events will have representatives at many of the events to provide feedback and information for students surrounding internships and co-ops,” Himes said. “Additionally, there will be over 65 employers at the Internship and Co-op fair.”  

Over 70 employers showed up at last year in the Student Union for the Internship Co-op Fair today. Students had the chance to talk to companies like United Technology or Amazon in hopes of landing an internship for the summer.   Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Over 70 employers showed up at last year in the Student Union for the Internship Co-op Fair today. Students had the chance to talk to companies like United Technology or Amazon in hopes of landing an internship for the summer.

Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

In addition to in person workshops and programs, the CCD is offering webinars for students to watch live or via recording.  

“The webinars make content such as resume writing, cover letter writing and interview tips more accessible for students that may not be able to attend a workshop in person,” Himes said.  

UConn hosts Internship and Co-op week as a way for students to gain a deeper understanding in their field of interest, Himes said. 

“Internship and Co-op week is a great way to promote building skills, prepare students to apply for positions in their field and talk with employers and organizations that offer experiential learning opportunities,” Himes said. “Many of our workshops offer students the opportunity to refine their application materials, discuss potential experiential learning opportunities and connect with students in other academic programs and majors.”  

Brittany Jimena, fourth-semester biology major, said she is going to try and find an internship opportunity at the fair.  

“I didn’t go last year, so I am definitely going to check out what they have to offer,” Jimena said. “I went to a resume workshop already and they were really helpful with pointers to strengthen my resume, so I feel prepared to meet any employers that will be there.” 

Naiela Suleiman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu.