In Case You Missed It: What happened this week beyond UConn

0
0

Parkland Shooter Jail Altercation 

Police photo of Nikolas J. Cruz being arrested by police in Florida, February 14, 2018. This is the Parkland Shooter who got into the jail altercation. Photo from  WikiCommons .

Police photo of Nikolas J. Cruz being arrested by police in Florida, February 14, 2018. This is the Parkland Shooter who got into the jail altercation. Photo from WikiCommons.

Authorities in Broward County, Florida, are investigating after a Nov. 2018 surveillance clip surfaced depicting the Valentine’s Day shooter at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, getting into a physical altercation with a detention sergeant while in custody, according to News 9. While observing the suspect pacing around cafeteria tables, Broward Sheriff’s Sergeant Raymond Beltran reportedly told him to stop dragging his sandals on the ground, at which point the suspect gave Beltran the middle finger before rushing him. The altercation continued, and the suspect managed to take Beltran’s stun gun but did not use it on him. Beltran eventually gained the upper hand and restrained the suspect before putting him in handcuffs. The suspect’s public defender, Melissa McNeil, composed an email in the days after the attack to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, writing, “I have been reflecting on how this situation could have been different had you or the BSO taken action when I brought to your attention about Sgt. Beltran supervising [REDACTED].” The office later responded saying the attack was the fault of only the suspect regardless of the circumstances. BSO is investigating the response time of the attack given that backup did not arrive until two minutes after the altercation began.  

Iowa Caucus 

Iowa Democratic Party chairman Troy Price speaks about the delay in Iowa caucus results Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020, in Des Moines, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

A glitch in an app used by precincts to report Iowa’s presidential primary results caused chaos throughout the week for voters, candidates and organizers alike, according to CBS News. The Democratic party stressed the delay has not impacted the accuracy of the results, nor is there any evidence of hacking in the votes. As of Wednesday afternoon, the party had provided results from 71% of precincts from all 99 counties. The results show Pete Buttigieg maintaining a slight lead over Bernie Sanders, with 26.8% going to Buttigieg and 25.2% going to Sanders. Elizabeth Warren is in third with 18.4%, followed by Joe Biden in fourth with 15.5%. Final results are still pending, and it is unclear when these votes will come in.  

Trump Acquitted 

Senate Minority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer of N.Y., speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, following a vote in the Senate to acquit President Donald Trump on both articles of impeachment. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

President Donald Trump was acquitted in the Senate on Wednesday of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress charges, according to the New York Times.  

48 of 100 Senators, all Democrats except Republican Mitt Romney, voted to convict Trump of abuse of power. 47 of 100 Senators, all Democrats, voted to convict Trump of obstruction of Congress. Both of these vote counts fell short of the 67 votes necessary to convict the president. As predicted, senators voted along party lines. 

Border Death 

The U.S. government announced Wednesday a 32-year-old citizen died while in custody at the border in Texas,  according to NBC News. The man was a suspect in a human smuggling incident, and he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon and sent to Bracketville for processing. During his tenure, he began “exhibiting signs of distress” and was treated by emergency medical technicians before being sent to the hospital where he later died around 9 p.m. The agency has not released the man’s name or the nature of his illness/death.  

Walmart Suspects 

This is a picture of Lysol which the man was spraying as he was wearing a medical mask and a shirt warning of Coronavirus. The picture is taking   by T.Young   .

This is a picture of Lysol which the man was spraying as he was wearing a medical mask and a shirt warning of Coronavirus. The picture is taking by T.Young.

Authorities are searching for two men who allegedly walked into an Illinois Walmart with an “I have the coronavirus” sign and sprayed a mystery substance on produce and other products as they moved, according to Fox News.  The substance was later identified as Lysol, and the man spraying it wore a medical mask and a sign on the back of his shirt warning those around him he was infected with coronavirus. Walmart said an estimated $7,300 worth of produce was lost and cleanup will cost an upwards of $2,000. No charges have yet been filed.  

Taylor Harton is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.