Rapid Fire: What is one thing you would change about UConn?

0
1
exc-5e4b390c79fe5b341b6517bc

In the Opinion section, we usually try to work through our convictions thoroughly and completely. It’s important that our arguments are strong, decisive and well-founded. But sometimes, you don’t have to have a deeper reason to believe in something. Rapid Fire is for those beliefs our writers have that can be explained in just a sentence or two. No more explanation needed. 

This time, we asked: What is one thing you would change about the University of Connecticut? Here is what we had to say: 

Staff Columnist Carson Swick believes dining halls should up their game on weekends.  File photo/The Daily Campus

Staff Columnist Carson Swick believes dining halls should up their game on weekends. File photo/The Daily Campus

Harrison Raskin, Staff Columnist: UConn is contributing greatly to the American epidemic of bad posture and back problems by stocking freshmen dorms with uncomfortable wooden chairs that have no lumbar support. UConn must develop a dorm furnishing policy which respects our spines and our humanity. 

Carson Swick, Staff Columnist: It’s time for the dining halls to up their game on weekends. I would love to see them serve three meals a day, seven days a week. No more breakfast until 4 p.m. in some places! 

Harry Zehner, Opinion Editor: UCONNIC must be held on the Great Lawn. Make it free, have some small but fun bands set up on Route 195 and make it a huge lawn party. 

Anika Veeraraghav, Weekly Columnist: In the future, I’d really like to see more vegetarian, vegan and other dietary-restriction friendly food in all of the dining halls. As a vegetarian myself, I feel like I’m paying way too much mostly for food that I can’t eat. 

Contributor Henry Willis thinks that the Rec Center should get a waterslide, hot tub and more.  Photos by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

Contributor Henry Willis thinks that the Rec Center should get a waterslide, hot tub and more. Photos by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus

Henry Willis, Contributor: As a freshman, I would have liked to get MORE THAN TWO DAYS to goof off and meet people after moving in first semester. Also the rec center should get a waterslide…and a hot tub…and a sauna, and so much more! 

Liz Collins, Contributor: As a club sports athlete, I would really like to see actual care and maintenance of our field at Depot campus. I’m not asking for a whole separate gym and dining hall – all I want is even fields and bus lines that run there on weekends! 

Michael Katz, Weekly Columnist: I wish that UConn would more directly address the issues that profoundly impact its students (e.g. climate change, mental health and racism). And for goodness sake, start recognizing our student power explicitly! 

Peter Fenteany, Associate Opinion Editor: When people complain about cold winters and annoying parking situations, they are really complaining about the lack of good transit across campus without knowing. Buses should be coming to lots and dorms more often in the mornings and more often in general on weekends especially! 

Kate Lee, Staff Columnist: I dream of a day when all dining halls have smoothies and the plebeians under the great hill can rest assured that they may enjoy the sweet taste of strawberry and mango without braving the climb to Putnam castle.