UConn in the Pros: Walker and Drummond day-to-day, Summers looks to continue to impress in the XFL

0
1
exc-5e60798fd5bdb545f8485a69

Kemba Walker returned to action for the Boston Celtics Monday night as he continues to recover from his left knee injury. In his 23 minutes of action, Walker put up 21 points alongside three assists and three rebounds. Despite his contributions and the Celtics’ large lead throughout most of the third quarter, the Brooklyn Nets were able to mount a comeback and defeat the Celtics 129-120 in overtime. Walker will rest on Wednesday as he continues his limited role until his rehab is complete.  

“It’s going to be tough playing limited minutes,” he said via the Celtics Twitter account, “But it’s all about the long haul and being healthy when it counts.” 

Although the Cleveland Cavaliers are set to face the Celtics Monday night, former Husky Andre Drummond will most likely not be suited up as he continues to battle injuries since his move from the Detroit Pistons at the deadline. The last time Drummond was in action was Feb. 29, putting up a double-double with 27 points and 13 boards in a 113-104 loss to the Pacers. As of now, there is no timetable for his return.  

Rudy Gay played a big part in the San Antonio Spurs victory over the Charlotte Hornets on Tuesday night. In his 26 minutes of play off the bench, he put up 10 points along with seven rebounds and two assists. Gay and the Spurs will return to action on Friday against the Brooklyn Nets.  

Transitioning over to baseball, George Springer and the Houston Astros continued their spring training campaign in a 2-1 defeat to the Miami Marlins on Wednesday. UConn alum George Springer went 1-3 at the plate with an RBI hit. Nick Ahmed and the Arizona Diamondbacks fell to the Cleveland Indians 6-2 in the top of the sixth, with Ahmed going 0-6 at the plate. Anthony Kay took the mound for the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday, giving up four in 0.1 innings pitched. Colorado Rockies struck out two and gave up two hits in 0.2 innings pitched versus the Texas Rangers on Wednesday. 

Cornerback Jamar Summers is proving to be a key player for the New York Guardians of the XFL, with a noteworthy fumble return for a touchdown in the league’s first week of action against the Tampa Bay Vipers. The Guardians are currently coming off of a 17-14 win over the Los Angeles Wildcats on Feb. 29, and are set to face the Dallas Renegades on Saturday.  

Major League Soccer opened up with former UConn goalkeeper Andre Blake in net for the Philadelphia Union. Blake had three saves throughout the match but couldn’t keep out the two that would decide the match, with Zdenek Ondrasek and Paxton Pomykal pushing F.C. Dallas to a 2-0 victory.  

Sebastian Garay-Ortega is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at sebastian.garay-ortega@uconn.edu. He tweets @sebastian__305.