President Trump to nominate Supreme Court judge Saturday

0
42
President Donald Trump speaks about the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg after a campaign rally at Bemidji Regional Airport, Sept. 18, 2020, in Bemidji, Minn. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday that he will propose a new Supreme Court nominee this Saturday after the recent death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Photo courtesy of Evan Vucci / AP Photo.

President Donald Trump announced Tuesday that he will propose a new Supreme Court nominee this Saturday after the recent death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. 

Trump has claimed that the reason why he is rushing to find a new member for the Supreme Court is to ensure the validity of mail-in ballots after the election this November.  

Out of a handful of speculations on who Trump could appoint, Judge Amy Coney Barrett has emerged as Trump’s top pick. 

Barrett has served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit since November 2017 and works as a professor at the University of Notre Dame Law School. 

In this May 19, 2018, file photo, Amy Coney Barrett, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit judge, speaks during the University of Notre Dame’s Law School commencement ceremony. Barrett, a front-runner to fill the Supreme Court seat vacated by the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, has established herself as a reliable conservative on hot-button legal issues from abortion to gun control. Photo courtesy of Robert Franklin / South Bend Tribune via AP.

Many speculate Trump’s incentive to nominate Barrett stems from Barrett’s well known Christian-centered conservative views, a value Trump leaned on to win the 2016 presidential election. 

A video of Barrett from a 2016 interview with CBS News resurfaced this week, which shows her commenting on the rush in the decision of the then-President Barack Obama to confirm a new judge after Justice Scalia’s passing.  

“It shouldn’t be a surprise that the Senate is willing to push a president’s nominee (Judge Merrick Garland) through in an election year when they share the same political affiliation,” Barrett said in the interview.  

Biden has commented on the situation and also referred back to appointing Garland back in 2016, arguing that, “having made this their standard when it served their interest, they cannot, just four years later, change course when it doesn’t serve their ends.” 

“The last thing we need is to add a constitutional crisis that plunges us deeper into the abyss — deeper into the darkness,” said Biden, calling Trump’s and Mitch McConnell’s efforts an “exercise in raw political power.” 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Jose Luis Magana / AP Photo.