Field Hockey: Huskies to battle Georgetown, American

0
0
exc-5bd26049085229c3dded7987

The UConn Huskies Women’s Field Hockey Team compete against the Liberty Flames for the Big East conference 2018 title at the Sherman Family Sports Complex on October 18, 2018. The Huskies scored the championship win with an end score of 6-1 (Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus)

The No. 5 UConn field hockey team will travel to Washington, D.C to take on Big East opponent Georgetown Friday at 2 p.m. and American University Sunday at 1 p.m. These will be the final two regular season games for the Huskies (14-3, 6-0 Big East), with the Big East Tournament semifinals set to take place on Nov. 2.

On Sunday, UConn traveled to No. 24 Boston University and defeated the Terriers 2-1. Junior Svea Boker scored her 12th goal of the season off an assist from freshman Maddie Wray to even the score after the Huskies fell behind early. In the second half, redshirt senior Cecile Pieper notched her team-high 17th goal of the season to give UConn the lead, while redshirt freshman goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher made all three of her saves off of BU penalty corners in the final minutes to secure the win.

The Huskies will play their final regular season Big East game on Friday at Georgetown. The Hoyas (11-6, 2-4 Big East) are coming off a 2-1 shootout victory over Longwood last Sunday. Cami Osborne leads Georgetown offensively with 20 points (9G, 2A) while Lindsay Gretz has recorded 19 points (8G, 3A). Goalkeeper Ciara Weets is allowing just 1.79 goals per game on a .712 save percentage. In their single meeting last season, UConn rolled Georgetown 10-0.

Sunday’s opponent, American, has lost three straight games, including a 1-0 overtime defeat to No. 13 Rutgers last Sunday. Noor Coenen has paced the Eagles attack with 19 points (7G, 5A) while Rafaela Rubas has notched 18 points (6G, 6A). In goal, Maura Jacobs is conceding only 1.52 goals per game with a .738 save percentage.

This season, UConn has 8 players with double-digit point totals, led by Pieper with 43 (17G, 9A). Junior Antonia Tiedtke has a team-high of 16 assists, largely due to her effectiveness as the taker of penalty corners. Defensively, the Huskies are allowing just 1.32 goals per game, thanks to Sprecher’s 0.763 save percentage in goal

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.