Student Standup from SUBOG: Last UComic Standing

0
2

Subog hosted a stand up comedy contest featuring UConn undergraduate students at the Student Union theater. The top three comics received prizes after winners were decided by a panel of judges.  Photos by Mike McClellan / The Daily Campus.

Subog hosted a stand up comedy contest featuring UConn undergraduate students at the Student Union theater. The top three comics received prizes after winners were decided by a panel of judges. Photos by Mike McClellan / The Daily Campus.

Last night, SUBOG’s Comedy division held its first ever standup competition, Last UComic Standing, at 8 p.m. in the Student Union Theatre. Six contestants took the stage delivering short sets of original material covering a wide variety of topics and styles. 

Gift cards were awarded to the top three performers of the night, as decided by a panel of judges. First-semester Mark Handler took home first place, followed by Nick Roche in second and Randy Radcliff in third. 

“You never hear, ‘I won the lottery,’ ‘well, you win some you lose some,’” Nick Roche said.

First-semester Will Carray kicked things off with his set, mostly drawing from his upbringing in Bridgeport, Conn., and his experience as a first semester student at UConn. Carray seemed nervous on stage, but a few of his jokes landed well with the audience, particularly the ones concerning white people drinking milk with dinner and his experiences sharing a bathroom with his family. 

After Carray was Roche, whose comedy was more observational in style. He began his set by pointing out the usage of the phrase “you win some, you lose some.”  

“You never hear, ‘I won the lottery,’ ‘well, you win some you lose some,’” Roche said.  

He also commented on finding questions about depression on a form for learning how to scuba dive. 

“Hey look, a porpoise … what’s my porpoise?” Roche said.  

He finished by reading some overzealous reviews of DiGiorno pizza, which, while entertaining, did not match the quality of his opening material.  

Ben Vyce went third, pointing out that this was his first time attempting standup comedy. Despite his lack of experience, Vyce did well once he got into the swing of things. His strongest bit was on awkwardness in public restrooms, referring to the sound of the person in the next stall over as “the sh*t heard round the world.” 

Before introducing each performer, Catherine Casey, the head of SUBOG’s Comedy division, did short bits of standup on her own.

Radcliff introduced himself as a narcissist, “but it’s ok because I know I’m a narcissist, so I’m better than the rest of them.” The rest of his set touched on his lack of knowledge on gym terminology, his hatred of children and a funny story about a trip to Disney World bathroom.  

Grant Woodin’s material was mostly reliant on shock value, focusing on his girlfriend and ex-girlfriend. He was also surprisingly self-deprecating, making lots of jokes about his own loneliness and insecurity. His best material was on his long history of hospital visits, including jokes about his colon surgery and some embarrassing nurse stories. 

Handler was the last to go up, and his set was a perfect note to end on. He used a variety of personal and observational stories including roommate searches on Facebook, revealing the inevitability of death to second graders, and being in a long distance relationship. One of his funniest moments was listing various things that outlast his performance in the bedroom, including the “Shirley Temple DVD box set infomercial” and “the buildup to the ‘white guy nod.’”  

Before introducing each performer, Catherine Casey, the head of SUBOG’s Comedy division, did short bits of standup on her own. A story about Jeffery Dahmer was the highlight of her material. 

The audience laughed along with each student’s set. If these sorts of events sound interesting to you or if you attended and would like to see SUBOG continue on with this in the future, Casey recommended students email “subogcomedy@uconn.edu.” 

Evan Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at evan.burns@uconn.edu.