Five dessert shots for every occasion 

0
2

Dessert shots make taking shots fun again.  Photo by    andrew jay    on    Unsplash   .

Dessert shots make taking shots fun again. Photo by andrew jay on Unsplash.

Okay, I’ll say it. I hate taking shots. I’m not good at it and I can’t stomach them. In my opinion, if there are tastier drinks out there, I’d rather opt for those. Yes, shots are quick and easy, but there’s no good reason for me to be forcing them down. So I’ve spent a lot of time this week researching the best alternatives and stumbled upon the delicious world of dessert shots. Yes, we’ve all heard of Jell-O shots, but these recipes take your standard vodka or tequila shot one step further. They’ll satisfy every sweet tooth and look pretty darn impressive, too.  

Oreo Cookie Shots 

Ingredients: 

6 oz. Baileys Irish Cream 

2 oz. chocolate vodka 

2 oz. creme de cacao 

2 oz. Kahlua 

Corn syrup 

6 Oreo cookies, pulled apart with center cream scraped out 

Extra Oreo cookies for serving 

These dessert shots are so easy to make! Simply crush the cookies in a bag with a rolling pin. Rim the shot glasses with cookie crumbs. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into shot glasses. Oreo cookie shots taste like a lighter version of a milkshake, without any heavy ice cream to weigh you down. Serve alongside a tray of cookies. Boozy cookies and cream, anyone? 

Chocolate Toffee Crunch Shot 

Ingredients: 

2 oz. Baileys Irish Cream 

1 1/2 oz. chocolate vodka 

1 ounce Kahlua 

1 ounce amaretto 

Chocolate syrup and chopped walnuts for rimming the glasses 

These shots are the perfect combination of salty and sweet. First, rim the glass with chocolate syrup and then coat with chopped walnuts. Combine the liquor in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until frothy, then pour and serve. The extra crunch at the end from the walnuts makes these dessert shots unique and delicious.  

Pumpkin Pie Shots 

Ingredients: 

2 oz. caramel vodka 

2 oz. pumpkin spice liquor 

2 oz. RumChata 

Colored sugar for rimming the glass (optional) 

With Halloween and Thanksgiving coming up, these are the perfect drink to serve up at your holiday parties. Everyone loves pumpkin spice. Rim the shot glasses with sugar crystals. Combine all other ingredients in a cocktail shaker and mix well. Strain and pour evenly into shot glasses. For an added touch, serve these shots in tiny hollowed-out pumpkins and sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg over the shots. Bonus? These shots can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge! 

Pineapple Upside Down Shots 

Ingredients:  

4 oz. vanilla whiskey 

2 oz. pineapple juice 

2 oz. cake flavored vodka 

4 maraschino cherries 

If you favor a fruitier option, these are the drinks for you. Start by adding a cherry to the bottom of each glass. Add all the liquid ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously. Strain and pour into glasses. These taste just like the real thing, and the colors send major tropical vibes.  

Birthday Cake Shots 

Ingredients: 

¼ cup frosting (flavor of choice) 

¼ cup rainbow sprinkles 

1 cup of cake-flavored vodka, chilled 

1 cup Baileys Irish Cream or white chocolate liqueur, chilled 

First, rim the shot glasses with the frosting, then coat with sprinkles. Combine all liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker and mix well. Pour in the prepared glasses and served immediately. You might not be able to stick a candle in these birthday cake shots, but they certainly guarantee you a fun celebration ahead.  

Thumbnail photo by Gabriela Rodríguez on Unsplash. 

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in The Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”